Thursday, January 17, 2013

The buttonhole

It all started with a buttonhole, or rather the lack of one. I had made a baking apron for James and was about to add some buttons for the strap that goes around his neck ( he has a very large head so he needs the buttons.). I sat in front of the sewing machine and started to look for a button with a tight zig zag, to my surprise nothing that I tried worked out! It was then that I realized that the one person that could help me, couldn't help me anymore. My grandmother, she used to be a seamstress, and was the one that made me think that buttonholes was something you whipped up in a minute. I had watched her many times. My grandmother has Alzheimers now and I live in the U.S so I can't run over to her place. I can't sit down in front of her old singer sewing machine and whip up a button hole.
It was then that it hit me. I had to learn as much as I could from my other grandmother before it was too late. So I made the most out of things this Christmas. We baked cookies and I started a stitching project.

This is my grandmothers button box! It holds many treasures that are now mine :)

And this is our newest group project in my quilting class! It is going to be a nice heart quilt for Valentines.
Sorry about the bad quality of pictures. But the blog won't let me load any pictures :( So I had to use my webcam

No comments:

Post a Comment